A lot of products in the market promise to aid in hair growth. While this promises might be true or not, it is important to vet the product you are going to pick. Some of this products might lead to hair damage.
Since we are in the topic of hair growth, does serum help in hair growth?
Hair serum has a lot of benefits to your hair. One of the benefits is aiding start of a new cycle of hair growth. How it does is not well known but how to use hair serum to aid hair growth will be discussed in the guide below. Don’t go anywhere.
Does Serum help in hair growth?
Due to the availability of a lot of products in the market that promises to help your hair grow, it is difficult to know which product do work and which don’t work.
While it might be hard to use all the products to determine which will work and which won’t, I have narrowed down the search for you and chose one of the products that holds more potential than the rest.
Hair serums promises to aid your hair growth. And after a tone of research I can answer your question if hair serums help hair grow.
Unfortunately, hair serum cannot aid the growth of hair you have already lost. It cannot also accelerate the rate of hair growth. But if you apply hair serum on your hair, your hair will increase in volume and the thinned hair grow back.
What does hair serum do that aid hair growth?
Hair serums contains some oils and other ingredients that enhances blood flow. When the blood flow and the pressure is regulated, your hair cuticles will start reproducing new strands of hair.
Since natural hair can suffer from frizz, flyaways and split ends, you might realize your hair getting more and more damaged. Luckily, hydrolyzed protein another important chemical available in hair serums balances the static charge that is responsible for frizz, flyaways, and split ends making your hair look healthy.
You should also choose a hair serum that has some hydrating properties. If your hair is well hydrated, the blood flow around your hair cuticles will be balanced ensuring new hair strands are produced. Hydrated hair will also not break.
Sometimes the ingredients present in the hair serum might not be enough to enhance hair growth. If you decide to use other hair products to aid hair growth, the environmental conditions that might have resulted to hair loss might still affect your hair.
To ensure those products still work and your hair is protected from environmental conditions that might damage your hair, apply a hair serum after using the hair growth products.
Silicone the main component of hair serum creates a coating that protects your hair strands from the factors that might cause hair damage. This gives the hair growth products enough time to work on your hair.
How to choose hair serum from hair growth?
There are a lot of hair serum made for different purposes and different hair purposes.
If you want to choose the right hair serum for hair growth, ensure the hair serum has some hydrating properties.
A well hydrated hair will look and feel good which means it won’t break. Another thing is that when your hair is well hydrated, the hair cuticles will remain open ensuring the serum penetrates your hair follicles and aid in start if a new cycle of hair growth.
Other ingredients that you should look for in a hair serum for hair growth include;
Some of this ingredients might be a little bit harsh to your scalp. So, you will need to apply the hair serum properly to ensure it works as Intended.
Homemade hair serum for hair growth
If you are one who don’t trust commercialized products and into organic products, you can make a hair serum for hair growth at home.
Homemade hair serums are made using some of the most safe Ingredients meaning your hair will grow and you cannot suffer any negative side effects.
- 1 tablespoon Argan oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of Shea butter
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops of green tea essential oil
- 5 drops of Rosemary essential oil
Other important equipment
- Double sauce pan
- 1 heatproof glass bottle
- A stainless steel spoon
- 3 ounces glass bottle with an eyedropper
- A metal funnel
- Measuring cup
- Put the almond, coconut, Avocado, and Shea butter on the heat proof glass.
- Melt the mixture over a boiling water inside the double sauce pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients into a measuring cup and add the melted mixture.
- Mix the oils using the stainless steel spoon.
- Pour the mixture in the glass using the metal funnel.
- Cover the glass bottle using the eyedropper and store it in a cool dry place.
Before using the homemade hair serum, you should melt the hair serum over a bowl of warm water.
How to use hair serum for hair growth?
Even after landing the best hair serum, mostly commercialized, you should learn how to apply the hair serum. There are a lot of negative side effects associated with using hair serum. Since there are a lot of uncertainties to using hair serum, is hair serum good for hair?
Good thing is that you already know which hair serum to choose for hair growth. One last thing you should learn to ensure hair serum will work for you is learning how to apply hair serum the right way.
- Wet your hair with warm water before applying hair shampoo.
- Apply a gentle shampoo on your hair and then use your fingertips to massage your hair. This ensures that there is enough blood flow in your scalp. It also removes all the products that might be in your hair that might be aiding in hair damage.
- When you are sure the products are loose enough, rinse off the hair using some warm water.
- Hair shampoo contains some harsh ingredients that might dry up your hair causing it to start breaking. To ensure your hair is well moisturized and easy to work through, apply a hair conditioner.
- Massage your hair for a few minutes to let every part of your hair get the conditioner.
- Rinse of the conditioner.
- Since you don’t want hair serum to damage your hair, apply a moisturizer on your hair.
- Another important thing you should apply to your hair since we are going for hair growth, is hair products that enhance hair growth.
- After applying hair growth products, go in with a hair serum.
- Pour some hair serum on your palm, rub your hands together to melt the serum before applying to your hair.
- Part your hair in a smaller sections and start applying the hair serum from the mid length to the hair ends
- Do not let the hair serum touch your hair if you are using commercialized hair serum. The ingredients might be harsh on your scalp.
- If you are using homemade hair serum, you can use the hair serum on your scalp.
- Massage the hair with your hands and then run a wide toothed comb through your hair to detangle your hair.
- Style your hair as you please then wash your hands.
Can I use hair serum for hair growth daily?
Unless you are using homemade hair serum, do not use hair serum on you hair on a daily basis. Some of the ingredients used in the hair serum might be harsh on your scalp causing some irritation which might develop into rashes.
Before using a hair serum, you should consult a hair professional. A hair professional will direct you how often you should use hair serum.
While hair serum may not accelerate the growth rate of your hair, it will definitely enhance the growth of new hair strands while still taking good care of your old strands.
When choosing a hair serum for hair growth, ensure it has a high level of hydrating properties, oils, amino acids, and proteins. The silicone level should be high enough to create a protective layer to your hair strands to protect your hair strands from environmental conditions that might damage your natural hair.
If you don’t know where to start, you can read the guide above. You should also subscribe to this page for more beauty hacks.
- Tiwari, R., Tiwari, G., Yadav, A., & Ramachandran, V. (2021). Development and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum: A traditional way to Improve Hair Quality. The Open Dermatology Journal, 15(1).
- Cruz, C. F., Martins, M., Egipto, J., Osório, H., Ribeiro, A., & Cavaco-Paulo, A. (2017). Changing the shape of hair with keratin peptides. RSC advances, 7(81), 51581-51592.
- Majeed, M., Majeed, S., Nagabhushanam, K., Mundkur, L., Neupane, P., & Shah, K. (2020). Clinical study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a hair serum product in healthy adult male and female volunteers with hair fall. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology, 13, 691.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.