The market is flooded with a lot of products that promise to take care good care of your hair while enhancing hair growth. While all this products have Al this promises, it can be hard to know which product works and which product doesn’t work.
In our special discussion today, we are going to compare hair serum and hair cream. Both if this hair products promises to enhance hair growth, protect your hair against environmental conditions that might damage your hair, and aid hair styling.
Which of these products will work, which is the best? And how do this products work? Stick around to find out.
Differences between Hair Serum and Hair Cream
Hair creams and hair serums are two hair products that work for the good of your hair. Although the two hair products promise to aid the growth of your hair whole protecting your hair from environmental conditions that might affect your hair in one way or another, they do work very differently.
We will get into how this two hair products work in the guide below. But before we get to that, I have created a table that will give you an overview on how this two products relate and how they work. Let’s get started.
|Details||Hair Serum||Hair cream|
|What they are||Liquid hair products formulated using silicone, amino acids, proteins and other ingredients.||Cream and thicker form of hair product formulated using oils and additional ingredients that aid hair growth.|
|What it is they do||Silicone the main component of hair serum creates a protective layer on your hair strands protecting your hair from environmental conditions that might affect your hair one way or another.||The oils infused in hair creams aids in hair growth while the thickness of the cream ensures that you can style your hair as you please.|
|Benefits||Controls hair frizzStraightens your hairDefines natural curlsAdds shine to your hairProtects your hair against heat damageAids in hair growth||Aids in hair growth Enhances hair stylingAdds shine to your hairProtects your hair against environmental conditionsNourishing your hair Treats your hair|
|Side effects||Hair damageHair lossIrritation||Hair damageAnd hair loaa|
|How to use||Apply in wet hair||Apply on dry or relaxed hair|
|When to use||When you want to protect your hair from water, when you want to repair damaged hair or when you want to look snatched.||When you want to make your hair look smooth, shiny, moisturized and when you want your hair to grow.|
The information provided on the table above does not tell you exactly how the two products work. We will therefore get into details on how this two products relate starting with;
What is hair serum and what does it do?
A hair serum is a form of hair product that is in liquid form and is formulated using silicone, amino acids, proteins, and other ingredients that aids into making your hair look good and feel good.
Silicone the main component of hair serum is waterproof and heavy. When you apply a hair serum on your hair, a protective layer is created which protects your hair from any environmental conditions that might damage your hair.
Hydrolyzed protein also an ingredient in hair serum reduces the static charge that is responsible for frizz, flyaways, and split ends.
Other ingredients found in hair serum aids in hair growth and making your hair feel and look great.
Aside from the benefits and side effects associated with hair serums, there are a lot more to hair serums. If you want to learn more about hair serums, read my introduction to hair serum guide
What is hair cream and what does it do?
Hair cream is a heavy form of cream hair product formulated using oils, and other ingredients that enables your hair to be nourished and also enables hair growth.
Aside from enabling hair growth , the oils in hair creams adds moisture to your hair making it feel good and look good too.
Although hair creams are beneficial to your hair, there are some disadvantages of using hair creams. This disadvantages will be discussed in the guide below.
What are the benefits and negative side effects if hair cream?
Since we know all about hair serums, there is no need to go into the other factors of hair serum. However, since this is the first time we are talking about hair creams, we will discuss some of the other benefits of hair cream.
- Nourishing your hair: Hair creams contains some oils that have some benefits to your hair and your scalp. Once you have applied the hair cream, you can be sure your hair is going to benefit from the cream.
- Aids in hair growth: When your hair is healthy, it allows the start of new hair growth cycle.
- Controls frizz: Hair creams are heavy on your hair, they make your hair stay as you style it and control humidity from damaging your air.
- Styling your hair: Hair creams are heavy than hair serum. You can be assured that when you style your hair, your hair will be tamed.
Although hair creams are very beneficial to your hair, they do not lack some side effects if you choose the wrong hair creams. You can follow this guide to choose the right hair cream for your hair.
Some of the negative side effects you will be avoiding is hair damage and hair loss.
How to make homemade hair creams?
If you are not a big fan of commercialized products, you can make homemade hair creams for your hair.
One thing you should know about commercialized hair creams is that there are some added chemicals that are added to your hair cream to make sure the last longer in the shelves. This chemicals might be too harsh to your hair and your scalp.
Luckily, homemade hair creams are made with safe ingredients that cannot damage your hair.
- 1 tablespoon of Shea butter
- I tablespoon of Jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil
- 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 6 drops bergamot essential oil
- 6 drops of chamomile essential oil
- Put the 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and shear butter in a heat proof glass then put in a double boiler or a microwave to melt the oils.
- Pour all the remaining ingredients in a measuring cup, add the melted oils and then stir using a stainless steel spoon.
- Pour the mixture in a container that has a lid.
- Refrigerate the cream overnight.
- Remove the cream from the fridge and store in a cool dry place.
How to use hair cream?
Depending on what type of hair cream you are using. Applying hair cream is very straightforward.
- Wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Rinse off the shampoo then go in with a conditioner.
- Massage your hair for a few minutes to allow the conditioner to work for your hair.
- Rinse off the conditioner and then apply a moisturizer.
- You can then part your hair into small sections as you melt the cream over a bowl of warm water.
- Apply the cream from the scalp to the mid length.
- Massage the hair to let the hair cream penetrate your skin and hair.
- Go in with a wide toothed comb to detangle your hair.
- You can the use a small comb to style your hair.
Are hair creams good for your hair?
Hair creams being thicker than hair serum and a little bit lighter than hair wax and gels, it can be perfect for people with thinner hair strands.
If you apply hair cream on your hair, you won’t need to use hair gels and wax to aid in styling.
Aside from styling, hair creams make your hair feel good, and look good.
Between hair serum and hair cream which is better for hair styling?
Both hair serum and hair cream have great benefits to your hair. For starters, they both aid in hair growth and aid in hair styling.
You can therefore not judge which product is better than the other. Hair creams will work better for people with thinner hair strands. The small weight from the hair cream will make your hair styling easy.
On the other hand, if you have thicker hair strands, you can use hair serum.
Since hair cream is formulated using oils, your hair might shrink and become muddy after some hours. To prevent this from happening you should go in with a hair serum.
Applying hair serum will add a protective layer to your hair strands protecting it from the harsh environmental conditions that might damage your hair.
Can I use a hair cream and hair serum together?
Hair cream aids in hair growth, nourishing your hair, adding shine to your hair same thing hair serum does. However, hair creams do not create a protective layer to your hair strands. You might be forced to use heat and relaxers to straighten your hair.
Fortunately, if you want to skip the hair damaging routines, you can apply a hair serum after hair using hair cream. The combination makes your hair moisturized, nourished, feel good, look good and also protected from environmental conditions that might damage your hair in one way or another.
You should however use tiniest amount of both products.
With all the products available in the market, knowing which product actually works as it promises can be very hard. Since you cannot use all the products to determine or they work, you will need to get into some research work.
Sometimes the research work does not offer you all the details you need to settle on one product. Luckily, I have created a guide to help you compare how hair serum and hair cream work and their benefits.
If you have never used either of the products, you can read the guide above to give you a head start. You should also subscribe to this page for more beauty hacks.
- Parjo, N. B., Zulkifli, R. M., Salleh, M. M., & Tencomnao, T. (2018). Antidandruff Potential of Kaempheria Galanga Ethanolic Extracts for Hair Cream Formulation. Jurnal Teknologi, 80(3).
- Zhang, Y., Wang, J. W., Qu, F. Z., Zhang, Y. M., Su, G. Y., & Zhao, Y. Q. (2018). Hair growth promotion effect of cedrol cream and its dermatopharmacokinetics. RSC advances, 8(73), 42170-42178.
- Majeed, M., Majeed, S., Nagabhushanam, K., Mundkur, L., Neupane, P., & Shah, K. (2020). Clinical study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a hair serum product in healthy adult male and female volunteers with hair fall. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology, 13, 691.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.