- Mixing with water
- Adding foundation to a glass of water
- Mixing with a moisturizer
- Use some light oil
- Use a commercialized Airbrush makeup thinner
- Mixing with a primer
- Mix with baby lotion
- Mixing with a waterproof setting spray
As you know by know, Airbrush machine uses a specific type of makeup products that is thick enough to sit on your face but thin enough to be sprayed from your brush.
In some occasions, you will find that your Airbrush makeup is getting thicker on its own, or you bought the wrong makeup products.
In such a case, you can definitely thin out your Airbrush makeup at home using the 8 products as described below.
How do you thin out Airbrush makeup at home?
If you have a moisturizer, a makeup thinner, water, a primer, setting spray, baby lotion, and oil, you can easily thin out your Airbrush makeup at home. All the process involves adding the products, stirring, adding the thinners until you achieve the consistency you want.
We will discuss how you can thin out your Airbrush makeup at home using the five products starting with;
1. Mixing your Airbrush makeup with water
The simplest yet an effective way of thinning out your Airbrush makeup, is mixing it with water.
There are however some limitations when it comes to this method.
You can only thin out water-based makeup with water as silicone-based makeup are water resistant
- Pour about five drops of your water-based Airbrush foundation or concealer in a mixing bowl.
- Add ¼ tablespoon of water to the foundation in the bowl.
- Use a tiny brush to mix the makeup as you add more water.
- Once you have achieved the consistency ideal for use in the Airbrush, pour the foundation or concealer in the Airbrush machine.
- Pull the trigger to apply Airbrush makeup on your face.
When mixing water and Airbrush makeup, only mix the amount you are going to use at that moment.
Mixing a whole bottle of foundation with water will make it go bad faster
2. Adding foundation to a glass of water
In instances where you only have silicone-based foundation and it is too thick, you can dilute it by adding the foundation to a glass of water.
This is a hack I learnt from TikTok. However, you cannot use an Airbrush machine with the foundation thinned this way.
- Fill a glass with clean cold or warm water.
- Add about five drops of your foundation into the water.
- Use a tiny brush to stir the water.
- The chunks of foundation will sit at the bottom of the glass.
- Use the brush you used to stir to scoop the Airbrush foundation.
- Apply it on your face and use a sponge or a brush to blend in the foundation.
Airbrush foundation thinned this way will become easy to apply and blend in. Unfortunately, it cannot be used on an Airbrush.
Diluted makeup with this method cannot use on an airbrush makeup machine
This method however will give you a dewy natural looking makeup look that is transfer proof and last longer.
3. Mixing your Airbrush makeup with a moisturizer
If you can access a moisturizer, you can use it to thin your Airbrush makeup Instead of using water.
A moisturizer will not only thin out your Airbrush makeup. It contains some nutrients and minerals that will be helpful in making your skin healthy and vibrant all the time.
- Pour five drops of Airbrush makeup in a mixing bowl.
- Add about ¼ tablespoon of your favorite moisturizer in the bowl.
- Take a tiny brush and stir the mixture.
- Keep stirring the mixture using the brush until you achieve the viscosity you are going for.
- Once your thinned Airbrush makeup is ready, you can add it to an Airbrush machine and use your normal Airbrush makeup application routine.
Again do not mix the whole bottle of your Airbrush makeup with the moisturizer
Moisturizer will facilitate growth of bacteria on your foundation.
4. Mix your Airbrush makeup with oil
For those with dry skin type, you can use any light oil to dilute your Airbrush makeup. Oils such as jojoba oil and Macadamia oil have some hydrating properties that will keep your skin healthy and hydrated at all times.
- In a mixing bowl, add about five drops of Airbrush makeup.
- Add ¼ tablespoon of Jojoba oil or any other light oil to the bowl containing the makeup.
- Use a tiny brush to stir the makeup mixture.
- Keep adding the oil until you achieve the consistency that will work for your Airbrush machine.
- Pour the freshly made Airbrush makeup to the machine and follow your normal Airbrush makeup application routine to apply the makeup.
A point to note is that you should not use oils that easily solidify like coconut oil
Then, your Airbrush makeup might solidify before getting to your face.
5. Use a commercialized Airbrush makeup thinner
Most brands that sell Airbrush makeup know that your Airbrush makeup might thicken over time due to several factors. They therefore sell their products and include a thinner if you are buying a complete kit.
You can also buy the Airbrush makeup thinner separately from any beauty store.
- Pour about five drops of Airbrush makeup in a mixing bowl.
- Add ¼ tablespoon of the commercial thinner to the bowl containing the makeup.
- Use a brush to stir the mixture and continue adding the thinner until you achieve the consistency you are going for.
- Add the freshly made Airbrush makeup to your Airbrush machine and apply your makeup as per normal routine.
A thinner is the most effective Airbrush makeup thinner as it does not interfere with the color of your makeup. You therefore don’t need to use too much products to achieve a full coverage.
6. Mixing your Airbrush makeup with a primer
Another amazing product that will thin out your Airbrush makeup to perfection is a primer.
Good thing is that you will find different types of primers that are compatible with different Airbrush makeup.
You can choose a silicone-based primer to thin out silicone-based Airbrush makeup, water-based primer for water-based airbrush makeup, and mineral-based primer for mineral-based Airbrush makeup.
- Pour about five drops of Airbrush makeup in a mixing bowl.
- Add ¼ tablespoon of the primer of your choice to the bowl containing the makeup.
- Stir the mixture using a thin brush. You can keep adding the primer until you achieve the consistency that is ideal for Airbrush makeup.
- Once your Airbrush makeup is ready, feed it to your Airbrush makeup and apply your makeup as per your routine.
From the normal use of a primer, it usually creates a protective layer on your skin. This still applies when added to your Airbrush makeup.
7. Mix your Airbrush makeup with baby lotion
For my people with acne prone skin type, using baby products to thin out your Airbrush makeup would be the best choice you would ever make.
Baby products are made using very mild ingredients meaning you want have any irritation
- Add about five drops of your Airbrush makeup to a mixing bowl.
- Add ¼ tablespoon of the baby lotion to the bowl.
- Use a small brush to stir the mixture.
- Keep stirring the mixture until you achieve a consistency right for Airbrush makeup.
- Once your Airbrush makeup is ready, pour it to your Airbrush machine and apply it on your face.
You can also use baby glycerin instead of a baby lotion if you don’t want to interfere with the color of your airbrush makeup.
8. Mixing your Airbrush makeup with a waterproof setting spray
A setting spray can also do a good job when it comes to thinning out your Airbrush makeup
I have seen people use hairspray but am kind off skeptical about it.
- Pour about five drops of your Airbrush makeup in a mixing bowl.
- Spray small amount of setting spray on the bowl and keep stirring and adding the spray to the bowl until you achieve the consistency you are going for.
- Add your freshly made Airbrush makeup to the Airbrush machine and apply it on your face as per your normal routine.
A waterproof setting spray will make your Airbrush makeup last longer
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you don’t have Airbrush foundation or your foundation has become thicker for whatever reason, you don’t need to worry.
There several products that are readily available at home that can help you thin out your Airbrush makeup.
When thinning your makeup, you should keep in mind your skin type as some of the products will not work with all skin type.
An example is using oil to thin out your Airbrush makeup if you have oily skin.
If you don’t know where to start and you are in that situation, you can read my guide above.
I have compiled 8 ways you can thin out your Airbrush makeup and achieve perfection.
After reading the guide, please consider subscribing to this page for more beauty hacks.
- Uyama, M., Ando, Y., & Hatakeyama, Y. (2020). The Complex Value Brought to Skincare Products by a Novel Silicone Emulsifier. Journal of Society of Cosmetic Chemists of Japan, 54(3), 237-244.
- Kapetanakis, S., Gkasdaris, G., Angoules, A. G., & Givissis, P. (2017). Kingherbs Allicin 0.6%, 0.8%, 1%, 2% Garlic Extract. World Journal of Orthopedics, 8(12), 874.
- Evans, M. Top 26 Best Non-Comedogenic Primers for Acne-Prone Skin.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.