Finding a hair product that has the right balance between moisture and hair taming is nearly impossible for people with curly hair. While people often choose the lesser evil of all the products by going with hair gels, there is a whole new world for people who have discovered hair serum.
A hair serum will provide your hair with enough moisture to define your natural curls while also offering a coating that will protect your hair from factors that might interfere with your hair.
For a hair serum to work on your curly hair, you need to choose a hair serum meant for curly hair and apply it the right way.
If you don’t know nothing about hair serums and you want to learn, keep reading this guide.
Should I apply hair serum on curly hair?
In most cases, you see that a hair serum is used to make your hair appear shiny, smoother, and straight.
However, there are different types of hair serums made for different types of hair and intended to do different things on your hair.
If you have a curly hair and usually find a hard time finding a hair serum that will make you feel you natural curls, there is a hair serum for you in the market.
A hair serum for curly hair will define your curls, control hair frizz, make your hair hydrated and appear more shiny, and also protect your hair from factors that might damage your hair.
Now that you are excited that there is a product that won’t make your hair too dry while trying to define your curls, you should know there is a catch to using hair serum.
If you use the wrong hair serum on your curly hair, you might end up dealing with extremely dry hair, hair damage, and hair loss. With this risks, is hair serum good for hair?
Hair serum has more benefits that negative. And, if you follow this guide word-by-word, the negative side effects won’t be for your.
Choosing the right hair serum for curly hair
Although you might think all curly hair are the same, there are different levels of curls on different people.
You might be dealing with extremely dry hair which is curly, an oily hair which is curly, hairs with weak and strong strands and many other differences.
If you want to achieve some very defines curls, the first step is to learn what your hair wants and how it might react with a hair serum.
Analyzing the status of your hair might be hard of you have no background in hair. You should therefore consult a hair professional on which hair serum to use.
A hair professional will analyze the state of your hair and use the analysis to offer you some recommendations on which hair serum to use.
Hair serum for curly and dry hair
If your hair is curly but really dry, you should go for a hair serum with a large percentage of hydrating properties that silicone.
The hydrating properties will define the curls and maintain the moisture the whole day
Hydrating your hair also will also keep your hair hydrated.
Hair serum for curly and oily skin
If you have a curly yet oily skin, you need to use a light weight hair serum with less oils in it. Adding more oils on your hair will beat the main objective of using hair serums.
For those who are not big fans of putting chemicals on your hair yet you want to achieve the curly hair look, you can go for homemade hair serum for curly hair.
Homemade hair serum from curly hair
Commercialized hair serums has some added chemicals that are meant to make the hair serum last longer in shelves. Some of the other ingredients used in hair serums might be harsh to your hair.
Homemade hair serum for curly hair on the other hand are very gently on your skin since they are formulated using the most safe ingredients. Making homemade hair serum is also very simple and cheap.
- 1 tablespoon Argan oil.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vitamin E oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons Aloe Vera oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- A glass bottle with an eyedropper
- A measuring cup
- A metal funnel
- Stainless steel spoon
- Heatproof glass
- In the heatproof glass, add the shea butter, Avocado oil, and coconut oil.
- Heat the mixture in a microwave for a few minutes until it melts.
- Add the mixture and the remaining ingredients in the measuring cup.
- Mix the mixture with the stainless steel spoon.
- Use the metal funnel to pour the mixture into the glass bottle and cover with the eyedropper.
- Refrigerate the mixture or not for 6 hours before storing in a cool dry place.
When applying the homemade hair serum on your hair, you will have to melt over a bowl of warm water.
How to apply hair serum to curly hair?
Even after getting the most ideal hair serum for curly hair, they is the aspect of application. If you want to escape the negative side effects of hair serum, you should follow this step-by-step guide to achieve the defined curly hair look you are going for.
Step 1: Wash your hair
If there are other products on your hair, the hair serum might be as effective as you expect. Hair serum is also applied in wet hair.
- Wet your hair with warm water before shampooing your hair.
- Apply enough hair shampoo depending on the length and density of your hair.
- Massage your hair for a few minutes to let the shampoo do it’s job.
- After you are sure all the other hair products have been dissolved by the shampoo, rinse the shampoo off with Luke warm water.
- You might have to go another round in with the shampoo if you notice your hair is not that clean.
- Apply some generous amount if conditioner for the sake of moisturizing, nourishing, and softening your hair.
- Massage your hair again to the conditioner get into the roots.
- Rinse off your hair and then detangle the hair using a wide toothed comb.
Step 2: Moisturize your hair
Although you will be using a lightweight hair serum that has some hydrating properties, you will still need to moisturize your hair.
Added moisturizer will last longer and make the curls pop even before applying hair serum.
Step 3: Apply hair serum
- Part your hair into smaller sections for easy application.
- Pour a few drops of hair serum on your palm then rub your hands together for a few minutes to melt the hair serum.
- Applying hair serum should be done from the mid length to the ends of your hair.
- If you are using the homemade hair serum, you can start from the roots.
- Massage your hair for a few minutes to let the hair serum sink in.
- Run a wide toothed comb through your hair for detangling and defining the curls more.
- You can then go ahead and style your curly hair as you please.
Ensure you have washed your hands with warm water and soap to remove any serum that might be stuck on your finger nails.
How often should I apply hair serum on curly hair?
You should apply the hair serum for curly hair as often as possible. However, never apply hair serum on dirty hair and also you cannot apply hair serum daily.
Let the hair serum sit on your hair for about three days before washing it off.
Finding a product that will work perfectly for your curly hair does not have to be as difficult as you think. In most cases people use gels as the define the curls. However, this gels dry up your hair to an extent your hair might be damaged.
If you have never used hair serum on your hair, this is a wake up call. There are some hair serums formulated specifically for curly hair. You will however have to choose the right hair serum for your hair if you want to keep your hair safe.
You should also learn to apply the hair serum the right way. If you don’t know where to start, you can read the guide above. Consider subscribing to this page for more beauty hacks.
- Sylla, S., Bernsley, D., Ojalvo, S. P., & Komorowski, J. (2021). An Open-label Experience Trial to Evaluate the Effects of a Novel Supplement and Hair Serum Combination on Hair, Skin and Nails in Healthy Women. Current Developments in Nutrition, 5(Supplement_2), 374-374.
- Tiwari, R., Tiwari, G., Yadav, A., & Ramachandran, V. (2021). Development and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum: A traditional way to Improve Hair Quality. The Open Dermatology Journal, 15(1).
- Tansathien, K., Chareanputtakhun, P., Ngawhirunpat, T., Opanasopit, P., & Rangsimawong, W. (2021). Hair growth promoting effect of bioactive extract from deer antler velvet-loaded niosomes and microspicules serum. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 597, 120352.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.