If you are going for that look, you should definitely try Airbrush makeup. Airbrush makeup is the most flawless natural looking makeup look. Safety is another cool thing about Airbrush makeup.
For my girlies who keep getting cakey makeup look and Airbrush makeup beginners, this guide is for you. You will learn in a few steps how to perfect your Airbrush makeup application.
How to do Airbrush makeup at home?
Arrange your makeup application area, prep your face, use a primer, apply eye makeup, apply foundation, apply concealer, apply blush and highlight, bake your makeup, use a setting spray; Just a few steps and you will have achieved the most flawless makeup look.
Although the steps seems very simple, messing one step will result in the most disastrous Airbrush makeup look.
If you are learning how to do Airbrush makeup at home, this guide will be of so much help. Follow the steps as explained and you will achieve a pro status within a few weeks.
Step 1: Gather your materials
Before you get to the step of Airbrush makeup application, you should have an Airbrush machine, Airbrush makeup, and other tools essential during application.
If it is the first time you are using your Airbrush machine, this video will help you assemble the parts of the Airbrush.
- Airbrush makeup is in a liquid form that is thick enough to settle on your face without flowing and thin enough to be sprayed out if the gun.
- Ensure the makeup you are using is the right type of makeup as per your skin type and tone.
- Once you have all the products, you can go ahead to the next step.
You can use this tools to pick concealers and foundations that match your skin tone.
Step 2: Prep your face
Once you arrange all the products and tools you will be needing during application, prep your face for makeup application.
- Start by wetting your face with warm water and then go in with a mild cleanser.
- After you have cleansed your face for the first round, go on to face scrubbing.
Scrubbing ensures all the buildup of makeup and dead skin is eliminated for a swift and flawless makeup look.
- Let the scrubber settle on your face for five minutes before gentle scrubbing your face for about five minutes and in circular motion.
- Wipe of the scrubber then go in with a cleanser again. This is to clean off your face for the rest of your makeup.
- Use a toner next. A toner will help balance your skin color while also calming your skin.
- You can then go in with a serum. Most face serums are antioxidants. They rejuvenate your skin while controlling premature aging of the skin.
- Face moisturizer is the last product you will be using in this stage.
The steps above are enough to achieve a flawless makeup look. However, a more detailed skin care routine will have more benefits.
Step 3: Prime your face
Priming your face is a crucial part of Airbrush makeup application.
A primer will create a smooth surface for makeup application. It will also protect your skin against any harsh ingredients found in makeup products.
- Take a fluffy concealer brush and dab the tips of the brush to the primers bottle.
- Scoop some primer and start tapping your face with the brush.
- Ensure you apply the primer all over your face before going to the next step.
Mineral-based primer Is the ideal primer for all skin types. However, if you have oily skin, you can use a silicone-based primer.
Step 4: Apply eye makeup
The reason you should start with eye makeup is because eye makeup products are mostly colored. There is a possibility of staining the rest of the makeup if done last.
- Start by applying an eye cream gel, priming your face, and then apply a concealer two shades lighter than your skin tone on your eye lids.
- If your Airbrush is assembled, you can then add the products you will be using on your eyes in the Airbrush gun.
- Start spraying the eyeshadow in your lids. This should be done a few inches away from your face and use little amount of products.
- Go in with the eye blows, eye liner, mascara and then fake lashes.
Among the products you bought in the complete Airbrush makeup kit, all the products used in this stage are included in liquid form.
Step 5: Foundation and concealer
The most crucial part in Airbrush makeup application, is the foundation and the concealer application.
For a flawless and most natural makeup look, you can use this hack that I learnt from TikTok;
- For those with oily skin, dust your face with some foundation before applying your foundation application.
- Choose the areas you will be using the foundation and which areas to use concealer.
- For the dark circles under the eyes, feed in a concealer two shades lighter than your foundation in the Airbrush machine.
- Start applying the concealer in strokes under the eyes only. Do this in strokes and lightly when your gun is positioned a few inches away from your skin.
- Once you are done with under your eyes, you can then repeat the same procedure with a concealer for hiding blemishes.
- Concealers for hiding blemishes should be one shade lighter to than your foundation. Use the concealer in the blemishes alone.
- Take a concealer for contouring which is two shades darker than your foundation and feed it in your Airbrush machine.
- Apply the concealer in parts of your face that you want to contour like the cheek bones, edge of the face, and the nose bridge.
Use the same techniques used in all others.
- Once you are done with the concealers application, you can go in to apply foundation.
- Spray the foundation in the remaining parts of the face.
Since most parts of the face are already Airbrushed, you won’t need to use too much products. Just one layer of the foundation and you can notice a huge change in your face.
Suppose you notice that your Airbrush foundation or concealer is too heavy to be used in the Airbrush machine, you can thin it out.
Step 6: Blush and bronzer application
After foundation and concealer application, you can leave your Airbrush makeup application there. However, if you want to give your face some color, a blush will be perfect.
- Add a few drops of your favorite blush or bronzer in the Airbrush machine.
- Press the trigger lightly to allow the blush to be sprayed out of the machine through the nozzle.
- Start spraying the blush on your cheek bones. You should be spraying in strokes without concentrating on one place.
- Do only on layer to ensure your makeup looks natural. The blush will illuminate your skin.
Step 7: Spraying your face
After blush application, you can decide to bake your makeup using a finish powder. However, if you have used the right type of Airbrush products, there is no need to bake your makeup.
You can just jump straight to using a makeup setting spray.
A setting spray will lock your makeup making it last longer. It does not interfere with the makeup look since it does not have color.
After your spray has dried, you will be turning heads with your perfect makeup.
Don’t forget to slay your clothing and hair and wear a smile all Day.
Step 8: Clean the Airbrush
After finishing your makeup application, you will need to clean the area you used to apply makeup. This is for your safety and the safety of others.
Wipe of any spills, collect all the cotton paper towels you might have used, store the products in a safe place, clean your Airbrush machine, and disinfect the area.
Cleaning your Airbrush machine after every use is one important task you should do if you want to use your Airbrush makeup for long.
- Pour some warm water or a mild cleanser in your Airbrush machine.
- Press the trigger to let the cleanser or water be sprayed out of the gun.
- Keep adding water to your Airbrush machine until you get clean water coming out of the gun.
- Take a soft microfiber cloth, wet it and wipe the surface of the Airbrush machine.
- Disassemble the Airbrush machine and start cleaning each part separately.
- Blow dry your machine parts under low heat and store in the packaging it came with.
When you clean your Airbrush machine, you remove all the products that might dry up in your Airbrush machine. This clogs at the end of the day might interfere with your makeup look.
Airbrush makeup application is not very complicated. However, if you miss one step, your makeup will look unbalanced.
For a more comprehensive and accurate Airbrush makeup application, read my guide above. The guide contains some hacks the will make your makeup appear more natural and last longer.
You should also subscribe to this page for more beauty related content.
- Mee, D., & Wong, B. J. (2012). Medical makeup for concealing facial scars. Facial Plastic Surgery, 28(05), 536-540.
- Corson, R., Glavan, J., & Norcross, B. G. (2015). Stage makeup. CRC Press.
- Johnson, C. (2017). Tattoos? No Problem! Tattoo Coverage for Performers.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.