Once in a while you find yourself in situations that will force you improvise. An example is when you run out of Airbrush foundation. If you ever find yourself in such a situation don’t panic.
Did you know you can make your own Airbrush foundation at home? If this is the first time you have heard of that, I got you. The guide below has all the details you need to know for you to make your own Airbrush foundation at home. Don’t go anywhere.
What do you need to make your own Airbrush foundation at home?
If you have found yourself in the makeup scare of your Airbrush makeup foundation being depleted, don’t panic. You can easily save the situation using your regular foundation. You ask how? Keep reading this guide to find out.
If you look at the bottle of your regular waterproof foundation and the bottle of a waterproof Airbrush makeup foundation, you will find more similarities that differences.
Both Airbrush foundation and regular foundation perform the same function and are made using the same ingredients. The only difference is in the consistency.
Airbrush foundation comes in a lightweight liquid form since it has to be sprayed from the Airbrush machine.
Regular foundation on the other hand is too heavy. You cannot use regular foundation in an Airbrush machine. No makeup will come out.
You can however transform regular foundation into Airbrush makeup foundation. There are quite an number of ways that you can do that. This methods will be discussed in the guide below.
Using Regular foundation to make Airbrush foundation.
With a few steps, you can transform regular foundation into Airbrush foundation in time of need.
1.Adding a moisturizer to the regular foundation at home
With your normal moisturizer and your regular foundation, you can make an Airbrush foundation.
- In a mixing bowl, add a small amount of your regular foundation.
- Add a few drops of your moisturizer to the foundation and stir using a tiny brush.
- Keep adding moisturizer while stirring until you achieve the consistency you are going for.
- You can make the foundation waterproof and long lasting by adding a few drops of setting spray to the mixture.
- Stir with a brush to ensure the foundation and the setting spray have mixed.
- Pour a few drops of the freshly made Airbrush foundation into the Airbrush machine.
- Press the trigger to check if the machine is releasing any product.
- If the consistency is right, your Airbrush will release the foundation in a mist form.
- Start spraying the foundation in strokes a few inches away from your face.
- If the first layer does not achieve the coverage you were going for, keep layering.
An Airbrush made with a moisturizer will not only make you look good, you will feel fresh and your skin will be loving it.
Don’t add moisturizer to the whole bottle if the regular foundation. Your foundation might go bad faster.
Replace the depleted Airbrush foundation with a new Airbrush foundation.
2.Using a thinner to make Airbrush foundation at home
Most brands that sell Airbrush makeup comes as a complete kit. Among the products that comes in the kit is a thinner.
A thinner will dilute the Airbrush foundation until you achieve the consistency you are looking for without fading the color of the foundation.
You can therefore keep diluting regular foundation until it has the same consistency with Airbrush foundation without fading the color.
- In a mixing bowl pour some small amount of regular foundation.
- Add a few drops of the thinner.
- If you want your makeup to last longer, use silicone-based thinner.
- Keep stirring the foundation until you achieve the consistency same as that of Airbrush foundation.
- To make your makeup last longer when you apply the Airbrush foundation, add a few drops of a setting spray.
- Stir to incorporate the setting spray to the foundation.
- Feed the foundation in the Airbrush machine.
- Pull the trigger to see if any makeup will come out through the nozzle.
- If no products come out of the Airbrush add more thinner.
- Start spraying the foundation on your face in strokes.
- If the foundation is lightweight, you might have to apply 2-3 layers to achieve full coverage.
You can find a thinner that is waterproof which you can add to your waterproof regular foundation. This combination is long lasting.
However, if you have sensitive skin, you should use a mineral-based thinner. This will make your Airbrush last longer while your skin is getting all the benefits from the ingredients.
3.Mixing water and regular foundation to make Airbrush makeup
You can also use your tap water to transform regular makeup to Airbrush foundation in time of need using this steps;
- Pour a small amount of regular water-based foundation into a mixing bowl.
- Add a few drops of water to the foundation and stir using a small brush.
- You should keep adding small amount of water to the bowl until you achieve the consistency same as that of Airbrush makeup.
- Spray a few drops of a waterproof setting spray into the mixture and stir.
- This will make your makeup last longer.
- Pour a few drops of the foundation into the Airbrush machine.
- Pull the trigger at the bottom of the gun lightly. This will release the foundation in mist form.
- Start spraying the foundation in strokes.
- Since water will dilute the color of the foundation, you can apply 4 layers of foundation to achieve full coverage.
Do not mix water directly to the bottle of foundation. Water might facilitate the growth of bacteria in your foundation. And using the foundation might cause some infections such as eczema.
4.Adding a few drops of the regular foundation to a glass of water?
This method is very different from the one discussed above in section three.
When comparing regular foundation and Airbrush foundation, you will notice that Airbrush foundation is long lasting.
If you haven’t perfected Airbrush makeup application, you can use regular foundation brushes to apply and blend in Airbrush foundation.
You can also mimic the consistency of the Airbrush foundation using this steps;
- Fill in a glass with cold water.
- Pour a few drops of your regular foundation into the glass of water.
- Since the foundation is heavy, it will settle at the bottom of the glass.
- The foundation however will be wet enough. This makes it easy to spread and blend in the foundation.
- Use a brush to scoop the foundation and start applying in your face.
- Use a dampened beauty blender to blend in the foundation.
This method does not require an Airbrush machine, if you want to achieve a flawless natural looking makeup look, use this method.
5.Making Airbrush foundation from the scratch
If you have sensitive skin and is afraid of using manufactured products on your face, you can learn to make your products from scratch.
For a foundation you only need products that will give temporary color, right viscosity, and non toxic.
If you have; cornstarch, baking soda, vinegar, food dyes, and glycerin, you can make your own Airbrush foundation at home.
- In different mixing bowls, put a small amount of food dye.
- To make a foundation that matches your skin, you should know your undertones.
- You can choose light color to dark colored food dye.
- In a separate measuring cup, add some baking soda and small vinegar.
- Stir the mixture until it makes a pasty product.
- Add cornstarch and glycerin to the mixture of baking soda and vinegar.
- Stir the mixture until you create a paste.
- Add the paste to different bowls of food dyes.
- Stir the mixture again using a stainless steel spoon.
- To attain the same viscosity as manufactured Airbrush foundation, start adding water and stirring.
- Stir for about 10 minutes to ensure there is no lumps inside the freshly made Airbrush foundation.
- You can add a waterproof setting spray into the mixture to make the Airbrush foundation last longer.
- Once you have found the best combination that will give your skin tone you can go ahead and apply the Airbrush foundation.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the foundation in the Airbrush machine and start spraying on your face in strokes.
This Airbrush foundation made from scratch is non toxic. The only issue is food dyes might stain your face.
With just a few ingredients, you can transform your regular foundation into Airbrush foundation.
For you to achieve the viscosity that matches that of Airbrush foundation, you will have to know have used an Airbrush foundation before.
If this is your first time being in a situation where you have to make your own Airbrush foundation, I got you.
The guide above has all the information you will need to make your Airbrush foundation.
Read it and consider subscribing to this page for more beauty related content.
- Dianas, A., & Astuti, M. (2021). Pengaruh Hasil Pengaplikasian Foundation dengan Teknik Airbrush Terhadap Hasil Rias Wajah Cikatri. Jurnal Pendidikan Tambusai, 5(3), 7446-7453.
- Kajita, M., & Nakamura, S. (2021, November). Basic Research on How to Apply Foundation Makeup Evenly on Your Own Face. In International Conference on Entertainment Computing (pp. 402-410). Springer, Cham.
- Mee, D., & Wong, B. J. (2012). Medical makeup for concealing facial scars. Facial Plastic Surgery, 28(05), 536-540.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.