Hair serum is on of the most versatile hair product available in the market. There are hair serums that define natural curls, those that straighten your hair, hair serums for oily hair, silky, and dry hair.
Despite of versatility, you should be cautious when using hair serum. If you don’t use the right hair serum for your hair, you might be forced to deal with hair damage. However, you cannot miss a hair serum formulated for your hair type.
Even though, is hair serum good for dry hair?
Yes. If you pick right hair serum meant for dry hair, you hair will still acquire all the benefits hair serum promises.
How to choose hair serum for dry hair?
Hair serums promises to benefit your hair in ways no other product can. Despite of the promises, you will have to go through the struggle of choosing the right hair serum for your hair type.
For example, your hair might be dry yet silky, curly, or straight. Your hair might also be damaged. Which hair serum should your choose? And what will happen if I choose the wrong type of hair serum? And with all this uncertainties, is hair serum good for hair?
If you choose the right hair serum for your hair type, you won’t have to deal with any uncertainties. But for you to bag the best hair serum for your hair serum, you must follow this guide.
Consult with a hair professional
Most hair serums that are labeled for dry hair do not put into consideration the state your hair is in. For example, your hair might be dry and damaged. While in other cases your hair might be the dry type but very healthy. Your hair might also be curly, or silky yet dry.
Since the websites don’t consider your individual hair, it would be best if you consulted a hair professional.
A hair professional will analyze your individual hair, use the analysis to find what your hair need, and give you a recommendation on which hair serum you should use.
Pick a hair serum from a renown brand
A hair professional will give you a recommendation on which type of hair serum you will use but will not tell your which brand to choose from.
You might be working with a tight budget. But that does not mean you pick a cheap hair serum. Cheap hair serums use some cheap ingredients that might cause more damage to your hair than good.
If you want to bag the best hair serum, pick a hair serum from a renown brand. Famous brands use high quality ingredients because they wouldn’t date risk the reputation they have worked to build for year.
Before buying a hair serum, check the ingredients to see of there are any ingredients that you might be allergic to. You should also read the reviews from other customers.
Picking hair serum
Once you have decided which brand you are going for, it is time to pick a hair serum that will work perfectly for your hair.
Hair serum for dry curly hair?
A hair serum that will perfectly work for curly hair should have some hydrating properties an light weight.
The hydrating properties will ensure your curls are defined and your hair moisturized all the time.
Since you don’t want the curls disappearing due to the weight of the hair serum. You should go for a lightweight hair serum.
Hair serum for dry silky hair?
It is easy to think that silky hair cannot be dry. Unfortunately, if your hair might be perfectly silky and the hair strands super dry.
If this is your hair type, you can go for ah hair serum that has some hydrating properties and heavy enough to make your hair remain straight and silky.
When the hair serum adds some moisture to your hair, the silky state of your hair will be restored. The serum will also create a coating that will ensure your hair remains protected and also look shiny.
Homemade hair serum for dry hair
If you are not very sure about commercialized hair serums, you can still make a homemade hair serum for dry hair at home.
Homemade hair serum are formulated using oils which will restore your hair natural oils while protecting your hair from any environmental conditions that might damage your natural hair.
Other than that, homemade hair serum are very safe since there are no added chemicals that might harm you.
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Argan oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- A double pan
- A heat proof glass
- A storage container with a lid
- Stainless steel spoon
- Measuring cup
- Put the avocado oil, coconut oil, and Shea butter in a heat proof glass.
- Put the double pan over a boiler and put water inside the pan. Place the heatproof glass with the ingredients inside the boiling water.
- Let the oils melt.
- In a different measuring cup, pour the remaining oils and then mix them with the melted bunch.
- Stir the mixture with a stainless steel spoon for a few minutes and then pour the mixture in a storage container.
- Cover the container with it’s lid and refrigerate it for about 6 hours
- Remove the container with the cream from the fridge and place it in a cool dry place ready for use.
Even after bagging the best hair serum for your dry hair, you will still need to apply the hair serum the right way to avoid suffering the side effects.
How to apply hair serum for dry hair?
How you apply hair serum will determine if it will work for your dry hair or cause more damage. While this might worry you, applying hair serum is not that complicated. If you follow my guide, you will not have to worry about anything.
- Wet your hair with warm water before applying shampoo. When it comes to washing your hair, shampoos are a must since they dissolve all the other products on your hair.
- Massage your shampooed hair for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
- Since shampoos are very harsh especially to your dry hair, you will need to go in with a conditioner. A conditioner will make your hair feel soft, moisturize your hair, and make it easy to work around your hair.
- Massage your hair again to allow the conditioner work it’s magic on your hair before rinsing it off with some Luke warm water.
- Since your hair cannot maintain its moisturize due to its natural dry state, you can then moisturize your hair.
- In case you are dealing with damaged hair, you should go in with other products that will restore your hair to it’s healthy state before applying hair serum.
- Pour some small amount of hair serum on your palm then rub your hands together to melt the product.
- Part your hair into small sections and start applying hair serum from the ends to somewhere mid length. This is when you are using commercialized hair serum.
- Do not let the hair serum touch your scalp since some other chemicals used in the hair serum might be harsh to your scalp.
- When using homemade hair serum, you can apply closer to your scalp as they are very gentle.
- Massage your hair for a few minutes before going in with a wide toothed comb to detangle your hair.
- You can then style your hair as you please.
Even if hair serum is beneficial to your hair, you should not use it on a daily basis. Some ingredients in the serum might still strip off your hair it’s natural oils leading to hair damage.
Homemade hair serum is lightweight and does not contain harsh ingredients. You can therefore use it on daily as you please.
If you have naturally dry hair, it might be difficult to find a product that works perfectly for your oily scalp and dry hair without making you feel uncomfortable.
While in most cases oils are the best alternative for dry hair, if the oils find their way to your scalp, your hair might shrink and become muddy with oils at the same time. Luckily, hair serum can come to your rescue in such a situation.
Choosing the right type of hair serum for your hair type might be the most difficult part of using hair serum.
If you use the wrong hair serum, you might have to deal with some serious side effects. Since I care a lot about you, I have created a guide to bagging the right hair serum for dry hair. Read the guide and use it as a reference when buying yourself a hair serum. You should also subscribe to this page for more beauty hacks.
- Majeed, M., Majeed, S., Nagabhushanam, K., Mundkur, L., Neupane, P., & Shah, K. (2020). Clinical study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a hair serum product in healthy adult male and female volunteers with hair fall. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology, 13, 691.
- Tiwari, R., Tiwari, G., Yadav, A., & Ramachandran, V. (2021). Development and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum: A traditional way to Improve Hair Quality. The Open Dermatology Journal, 15(1).
- Cruz, C. F., Martins, M., Egipto, J., Osório, H., Ribeiro, A., & Cavaco-Paulo, A. (2017). Changing the shape of hair with keratin peptides. RSC advances, 7(81), 51581-51592.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.