Concealers are mostly known for their role of hiding blemishes. However, if that is the only way you have been using concealer, you have been missing out on a lot.
Concealers are the most versatile makeup products. They can be used to conceal acne, and dark circles, contour, and fix other makeup mistakes.
So, if you have been using concealer for one thing, this guide is for you. I will give you a brief explanation as to how you can achieve a lot with concealer. Stay tuned.
What is a concealer used for?
If you are just starting on makeup, I am pretty sure you have not exhausted all the ways you can enjoy concealer application. People are acquitted to using concealer for hiding blemishes. However, concealers can fulfill so many purposes.
From my guide on how to apply concealer, you can see that there are quite several ways to apply concealer. What you might not know is that each of these ways has led to the fulfillment of different purposes.
Join me as I discuss different ways you can use concealer in your daily makeup routine.
Used to hide blemishes
Skin imperfections can be such a huge disturbance, especially those that do not end. You might have tried a lot of treatments only for your skin to get worse.
If your skin imperfections downplay your self-esteem, I have good news for you. You can use a concealer to hide the skin imperfections as you find the solution for your issue.
Most of these skin imperfections are common among adults. So, if you notice some skin breakouts, do not rush to treat them. Visit a dermatologist to get a diagnosis.
Sometimes the breakouts are rising as a result of the ingredients found in the makeup products you are using. If this is the case, stop using those makeup products ASAP.
Below is how you use a concealer to hide blemishes;
- Prep your face using your normal skincare routine.
- Apply a primer
- Apply some foundation on your skin.
- Take a fluffy concealer brush and apply a small amount of concealer on the blemishes you want to hide.
- Pick a concealer one shade lighter than your skin undertones.
- Do not drag the concealer, rather tap the concealer until it is well blended.
- Once you are sure your concealer is blended you can then apply other makeup.
- Used to contour
When it comes to contouring, pick a concealer 1-2 shades darker than your foundation. Normally, stick concealer is the ideal concealer for contouring.
Take the stick concealer and apply it on the cheekbones, the edges of the face, and the nose bridge.
Use a dampened Beauty blender or a concealer brush to blend in the concealer.
Hiding dark circles
If you have some annoying dark circles around your eyes, you can hide them using concealer. The concealer itself should be one shade lighter than your foundation. This will help balance out the color difference between your eyes and the rest of the face.
- Take an application wand that comes with the concealer.
- Apply the concealer from the inner circles of the eyes.
Take a concealer brush the same size as your fingertips and start blending the concealer. Once the concealer is blended, you can do other eye makeup.
Using concealer to hide tattoos
If you have an official meeting and you have a visible tattoo, you can use concealer to hide the tattoo.
A concealer used to hide tattoos is the same shade as the concealer used to hide blemishes on your skin. You will have to use a lot of concealer for this purpose.
- Put a lot of concealer on a fluffy concealer brush
- Start tapping the brush until all the concealer has been blended and the tattoo well hidden.
- Cream concealer is the ideal concealer for hiding
- Correcting lipstick mistakes
Lipstick getting on your face is very usual, especially for beginners. Since you cannot keep rubbing your lipstick to apply newly, you can use concealer to perfect the lipstick.
- Take the applicator wand that comes with the concealer.
- Use a small amount of concealer to outline the lips.
- Ensure the concealer does not touch the inner parts of the lips.
- After outlining the lips, use your fingers to blend in the concealer.
- You can then go ahead and apply some small amount of powder to remove the sharpness created by the concealer.
Used as a nude lip color
If you do not have a nude lip color and you are yearning for a nude look, you can get a concealer and use it to create the nude illusion.
- Take a lip liner and outline your lips.
- Take an applicator wand and apply to touch the center of your lips both top and bottom with a touch of concealer.
- Blend in the concealer by touching your lips together.
- To make the concealer look like a nude lip apply some lip gloss.
The concealer nude lip looks very realistic.
Use to clean up your brows
One thing that is common among all the YouTube videos of people applying makeup is that they all use concealer to clean up their brows.
- After drawing or filling in the brows with an eye pencil, use an angled thin concealer angle to clean up the brows.
- You can also create some different shapes using the concealer.
Browse cleaned using a concealer and look more well-kept than those not cleaned up.
Use before applying eyeshadow
If you want an eyeshadow look that is perfectly blended with your other eye makeup, you should use concealer as the base. A concealer will give your eyeshadow a base where it can stock and the end result is a perfect eyeshadow look without creasing.
- Take an applicator wand that comes with a concealer.
- Apply some concealer in the inner corners of your eyes.
- Start blending the concealer as you move outwards.
- The surface that will be created once the concealer is well blended will create a perfect surface for eyeshadow application.
Eyeshadow applications don’t need to be boring. You can create quite several number of looks using your eyeshadow palette.
Used to create the no-makeup makeup look
If you have come across the clean girl routine challenge, you will be amazed to learn that all the girls use concealers to achieve the look. What these girls use is the spot concealer technique where you only use the tiniest amount of concealer to hide the parts of the face with skin imperfections.
- Take an applicator wand and apply some concealer on the spots that have some blemishes.
- You can then use a different type of concealer on the most definitive parts of your face like the cheekbones, the jaw bones, and the corners of the nose.
- Take a dampened beauty blender and start blending the concealer.
- You can then apply blush and finish up with a setting spray to give your face some color
- Using a concealer as a foundation
The latest discovery we have made is that you can use concealer in place of a foundation. You will however have to come up with smart ways to ensure the concealer achieves the same consistency as a foundation.
- Choose the right shade of concealer that matches your skin tone.
- Do not go for cheap low quality concealers. It might end up damaging your face.
- Cream concealer is the ideal type of concealer for this purpose since it does not dry up faster.
- Mix the concealer with some moisturizer.
- Use a fluffy concealer to apply concealer on your face. Do not use too much concealer or your makeup will be cakey.
- Start blending the concealer by tapping on the concealer using the fluffy concealer brush.
- Alternatively, you can use a dampened beauty blender to blend in the concealer.
- When using a concealer as a foundation, you will still use other concealers for their intended purpose. For example, you will still use a concealer to hide the dark circles, for contouring etc.
- After you have blended your concealer perfectly, use a loose finish powder and bake the makeup for about 5 minutes.
- Use a clean fluffy brush to remove the excess powder.
- Apply blush to give your face some color.
Concealer used as a foundation will last longer than the ordinary foundation would last you.
If you have been using concealer to hide w, you have been missing out on amazing things your concealer can achieve.
For starters, if you want to achieve the clean girl look, you can use concealer for that purpose. You can also use concealer in place of a foundation and also clean up messy makeup.
The other uses of concealer have been outlined in the guide above. You should also subscribe to this page for more smart makeup hacks you can use to better your makeup game.
Was this helpful?
Andriya Ruth, is a beauty specialist with more than 10 years of experiences. She loves to test new beauty products and techniques to innovate novel beauty procedures for her clients and knowledge. Further, she contributes to several beauty magazines and blogs as a leading author/reviewer.